Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Dunstanburgh Castle Northumberland


Dunstanburgh Castle, Northumberland. 

Dunstanburgh Castle was built from 1313 by the Baron Earl Thomas of Lancaster, at a time of tension between himself and King Edward 11.
The Earl failed to reach the castle when his rebellion was defeated and he was executed in 1322. John of Gaunt took control of the castle band strengthened it against Scottish attack, later the castle became the focus of attack from Yorkist forces twice during the War of the Roses and subsequently fell into ruin.
Pictures of Dunstanburgh Castle and the rugged Northumberland coast.
Please click on each photo for the full size image.


 

Second World War pillbox and concrete anti-tank blocks Northumberland


Second World War pillbox and concrete anti-tank blocks, Northumberland.

These pictures show a pillbox (so-called because of their shape) which were built around the British coast. The "D" type pillbox was unique to Northumberland and would contain firing positions for rifles and machine guns.
The fortification of Dunstanburgh Castle can be seen in the backgroumd.  
The large concrete blocks were placed around the type of beaches in the UK where a German tank invasion was anticipated. Most of these were put in place in 1940.
These photos were taken near the village of Embleton, Northumberland.
Further pictures of Second World War pre-invasion preparations along the North East coast can be seen here.      
Please click on each image for the full size photo.

Northumbrian Images BlogspotNorthumbrian Images Blogspot
 
Northumbrian Images BlogspotNorthumbrian Images Blogspot

Northumbrian Images BlogspotNorthumbrian Images Blogspot
  

Saturday, September 09, 2017

Trinity House Newcastle


Trinity House, Newcastle.

Trinity House in Newcastle is a charity which maintains the historic buildings and maritime related collections it contains.Some of the site has a traceable history going back 600 years, and in it's time the building has been used as a rigging loft, hospital , almshouse and offices.Some of the most distinctive parts of the current building date back to 1721.
Trinity House today is used as a centre for maritime training for young people including the Sea Scouts and Sea Cadets and has links with many Tyne based maritime organisations.
Please click on each image for the full size photo.

Northumbrian Images BlogspotNorthumbrian Images Blogspot

Northumbrian Images BlogspotNorthumbrian Images Blogspot

    

Holy Jesus Hospital Newcastle


Holy Jesus Hospital, Newcastle.

The Holy Jesus Hospital is currently a working office building.
The history of the this site goes back 700 years.
There was a friary here in the 13th century, then an almshouse for the city freeman and in the 19th century a soup kitchen was opened before the building started being used in it's current role.
The building has architectural interest from many centuries, including a 14th century sacristy wall and a 16th century tower connected with the Kings Council of the North.
The Holy Jesus Hospital is only one of two 17th century brick buildings left in Newcastle.
Please click on each image for the full size photo. 

The Northumbrian Images Blogspot

The Northumbrian Images BlogspotThe Northumbrian Images Blogspot

The Northumbrian Images BlogspotThe Northumbrian Images Blogspot
  

Stad Amsterdam at Newcastle


Stad Amsterdam at Newcastle

Stad Amsterdam was built in 2000 and represents the class of fast 3 mast vessels known as Clippers which were used for trade by the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, the US, Brazil and France and some other nations in 19th century.
These photos were taken on the 8th of September 2017.
Please click on each image for the full size photo.  




    

Wednesday, September 06, 2017

Smulders Offshore on the Tyne


Smulders Offshore on the Tyne.

Some of the largest new structures which have been built on the banks of the Tyne recently are the cranes which were erected to construct massive new 70m tall windfarm jackets. Here are pictures of the new yard built by Smulders which is a Belgian company.
Please click on each image for the full size photo.

Smulders HowdonNorthumbrian Images Blogspot

Smulders Tyne CranesSmulders Tyne Cranes

Friday, September 01, 2017

Cumbria - Long Meg and Her Daughters Stone Circle


Cumbria - Long Meg and her daughters Stone Circle.

Long Meg and Her Daughters is a bronze age stone circle near Penrith in Cumbria.
It was one of many built in the megalithic period which lasted from 3,300 to 900 BC.
It consists of 59 stones (27 remain upright).
Originally there may have been 70 stones.
Please click on each image for the full size photo.

Northumbrian Images Blogspot

Northumbrian Images BlogspotNorthumbrian Images Blogspot

Northumbrian Images BlogspotNorthumbrian Images Blogspot

Cumbria - Hartside Pass


Cumbria - Hartside Pass.

From the village of Melmerby, the Hartside pass climbs 1906 ft along the A686 Rd.
The view from the Hartside Top cafe offers panoramic views of the countryside, and is popular with bikers.
Please click on each image for the full size photo.

Hartside Pass.Hartside Pass.

Northumbrian Images BlogspotNorthumbrian Images Blogspot

Cumbria - Mayburgh Henge


Cumbria - Mayburgh Henge.

Mayburgh Henge is a circular bank up to 15 feet (6.5m) in height and with a diameter of about 383 feet (117m) and was built up with stones taken from nearby rivers and is unique amongst henges in that respect.
There is one remaining standing stone out of four which were situated in the centre of the circle and a further four stood at the entrance.
There have been Neolithic tools found at this site, dating it from 2000 to 4500 BC.
The M6 motorway runs close to the Mayburgh Henge.
Please click on each image for the full size photo.

Northumbrian Images Blogspot

Mayburgh Henge, Cumbria.Northumbrian Inages Blogspot